All about Greek Thassos island, Hotels, campings, taverns, real estate,
properties, houses for sale, Services, maps, weather, videos, golden
beach Photos, Holidays, Limenaria, Limena, since 1999
was developed at the end of the 19th century. It is a nice and
busy town, surrounded by beautiful beaches. There are plenty of
hotels, tavernas and bars. The main tourist base apart from Limenas,
Limenaria is much closer to the best of the island's beaches. Many
of the houses were built by the Turks to house German mining bosses
around 1900 and the remaining mansions add some character. The
inhabitants of the ancient village in the mountains called Kastro
foundet Limenaria in the end of the 19th century It was founded at
the slope of Ipsarion far away from the sea to protect the
inhabitants from the pirates.
e mining company Speidel was extracting mineral
resources from 1903 until few years ago. Higher up the harbour of
Limenaria there is the Palataki. Here were the offices of the mining
village located in the center of the island with an elevation of 650
meters. It’s name derived from the ruins of a castle that
once stood there. Perhaps the oldest village on Thassos. Kastro
was totally abandoned apart from the church of St. Athanasios. In
recent years nearly all of its houses have been restored and the
village relives its former glory every year on the fest day of Agios
Athanasios, 18 January.
between Limenaria and Potos. It is idyllic place with Hotels and
taverns along the sandy beach. Ther is also one of the oldest camping
at the island. Perfect place to eat or drink a coffee at the sunset.
Potos (50 Km SW from Thassos town)
is one of the most important tourist resorts in Thassos Island.
There are plenty of taverns, restaurants, bars, cafeterias and
snack bars. There is also a great selection of hotels and rooms to
choose from. The beach is excellent, but all the beaches around
Potos are beautiful too. Pefkari has fine sand and pine trees, Psili
Ammos, Astris and a bit further Thymonia and Alyki all with
The old island
capital, and still the administrative centre for the southern half
of the island. The mountains and the inland landscapes of this area
are among the most picturesque on the island. Its houses are
built in the traditional Macedonian style. The Church of Agios
Dimitrios was built in 1823.
is a little settlement with a few houses which have been recently
renovated and owned mainly from the people who are living in Alyki.
It is the only village that the road is not an asphalt.
They are small
settlements which belong to Theologos. They are almost abandoned but
recently with the tourist growth and the hotels and apartments which
have been build there have been rediscovered. Perfect places for peaceful
holidays at the sandy beaches of the south part of the island.
Off the east side of the island there is a small rocky islet that was
once called the HOLY ROCK. Today is an abandoned
settlement which becomes alive with the first tourists with a dreamy
beach, taverns and archaeological interest. It is a must to be the,
to swim at the crystal waters, and to eat fresh fish at the taverns.
A small tour at the ruins of Aliki, at the palace and the churches
is also a must.
Aliki was used for worship from 7th
century BC. A sanctuary was built on it. It was in constant use up
until the Christian era, when two basilicas were built on the highest part of
On the rock’s Eastern Shore stood a sanctuary dedicated to the savior
gods, possibly the Dioscuri, who protected ships and sailors on their
The ruins of the sanctuary can be seen. The buildings date back to the 5th
and 6th centuries BC.